Saturday, October 10, 2009

North Carolina part 2

Day seven. Saturday 10/10/09 7:19pm

I’m all showered up and ready to go out to dinner with the family for Robert and Anna’s birthday. This week flew by in a flurry of work and wine and I was so glad when we were about halfway through crushing the last of the grapes but had to stop for dinner out. And I was so glad that I got invited to dinner too.

I still don’t think my sense of smell is fine tuned enough. I like when Robert tells me that something smells or when he says what he thinks about a wine and then I try it and try to put the words to what I taste and smell. Some things I get, but others I completely have no idea. We taste test the wines as they are fermenting, which is very difficult to see how they are going to turn out in the end as they settle but then again, I'm just starting so in about 20 years maybe I'll get it.


Day six. Friday. 12:48am

It was a cleaning and preparation day. It was the hospitality side of the winery business where we were preparing for an out of town pair of musicians so the first half of the day was all dishes and laundry and squeegeeing the floors of the barrel room. You know how hard it is to turn a workplace into a concert area? I had only one thing on my list from Robert to do and that was to transfer some wine from one barrel to another. I tried to do it around 2 but one barrel started to overflow, much to my dismay, spilling out all over the clean concert floor so I had to stop again and squeegee the floor really fast before anyone saw.
I miss my dog terribly today and everything about my home. I stared at the hens for awhile. Their combs are larger than my RIRs, a phenomenon I read about as a method to release heat in warmer climates so it was interesting to see it in action.

The band came for dinner and was very nice and pleasant as I set up banged and set up chairs all around them tuning. Natalie made an excellent dinner of pasta with kale and red peppers and pine nuts and good bread and squash soup. We were having a pleasant conversation about music when their old alternative rock band came up that Natalie and Robert played in the 90s and Natalie got super embarrassed by it, which of course led me to say –you think that’s embarrassing, I used to be in an all girl band with a transgendered person in the process of changing into a woman. *Insert confused looks, crickets chirping*

The concert turned out to be super nice and a very romantic setting and the few people who did come ended up liking it immensely. I was taken back by the pacing of the night being perfect, with the fiddle player holding the attention for awhile then shifting over to the guitarist who had a different style with finger picking baroque music with a new age twist. I remember one time when I was sick of all my music at my house and I went down to the library and thought that celtic music would transcend into some other form of auditory experience completely new to me. The old cd’s I found there were not bad, but nothing compared to a fiddle player surrounded by French oak barrels with fermenting wine playing his heart out and stomping on a stomp block, smiling the whole time.
And yes, I ended up spending the last part of the cash that I didn’t’ blow at the little bistro on one of his cd’s. Sooo excited to play it on the way home… to see my dog, my sheep, and my sweet boy waiting for me.


Tomorrow, early morning and all day crush!

No comments:

Post a Comment