Monday, April 25, 2011

It's not you, it's me.

So I went to another local winery to see how other local places do things and I just left very disappointed.

I like really good food and think that eating and drinking should be a holistic experience. I like when people are passionate about cooking or wine making or beer brewing. It seems like if you start a place such as a winery, you are passionate about wine, which would make you want to talk to other people about it and share your passion and excitement about it.

I walked into this place and there was only two other customers there. I wanted to do a full tasting, to get their whole menu of wines and see what they were all about. The descriptions were amazing so I couldn't wait to get started.
I got a halfway greeting and then the woman behind the counter turned her back to me. It took a half an hour from the time I walked in until the time I was served. And then once my tasting was all poured, she rushed to cash me out. Um, wait, that's one way to make sure that I don't purchase a bottle to take home or a glass to enjoy while there.
The food was not really appetizing looking at all, but I ordered something anyway. They didn't even open it out of the package, but plopped it on a paper plate and asked me if I would go sit down away from the bar with my wines to taste. I felt like a kid snubbed at the lunch table who was asked to sit somewhere else.
I wanted someone to tell me about the wine, what they grow, what they love, how they age their Chardonnay or what wines they are most excited about. All I got was another request to step away from the counter. For what? The other two people that were there sitting in the corner? To make room for the crowd that was coming through soon? This was the second place that I went where the server wasn't engaging, which made me think that maybe it's not the places I'm going, but maybe it's me?

The winemaker came out and I was excited to ask him about his wine. I asked him about one of his wines and I got a hurried answer that was just him rephrasing my question.

A lot on their wine list was from California, which is always a bit of a let down.
We are Ohio. Our winters are cold. Our springs and summers are unpredictable and sometimes brutal. We are not the Bordeaux region of France or the beautiful wine country of Italy. But then again, neither was California a few decades ago. They built up to being the wine heavyweight that they are today.
While I'm in Ohio, I don't aspire to make Merlot because in short, we can't grow Merlot grapes. Why would I pay for something to get shipped from so many miles away? Wouldn't shipping just sour the grapes?
I want to care for my crop, watch it grow, make sure that I raise it right to the highest quality, and be able to press right as soon as I cut them from the vine.

I also can't wrap my head around the serving styles of Ohio. I think this all kinda falls back a little bit to my first winery experience in Virginia. Jason and I walked in to Keswick Vineyards after playing in the ocean in the morning and then driving all day so I'm sure we didn't look fresh as a daisy. We were surrounded by people in golf shorts and loafers and we stuck out like a sore thumb, but the lady behind the counter did an amazing job of explaining all the wines to us as we did a tasting. She explained the different techniques they were trying and where the grapes came from. It was amazing and informative and I loved the way I felt when I was leaving.

My goal for BRX is to go never make people feel alienated when they're there and for my menu and wine list to be as local as possible. I want our menu to reflect the amazing local people making delicious and fresh products with locally produced ingredients.
I'm happy that most of our wines come straight out of the vineyard on the grounds and our ciders are made from Ohio apples as well. Our vines are hardy and exhausting vigorous (especially if you're the one pruning them.) The reds are so red that light barely can shine through because the skins are so thick. And I like that. It feels very "Ohio" to me.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I hope I never turn my back on someone who is interested in learning about how the wine is made or the grapes are grown. I don't want anyone to feel snubbed or that they don't know anything about wine, but rather to come in with an open palate and open mind and just taste what we have to offer. I'm pretty sure that between the sweet blush wines, the sparkling hard ciders, and the rich red wines, we'll have something most everyone will like. And if not, the goat cheese from Ravenna or the smoked sausage from Medina might please your fancy while you're here.
But if that fails, maybe eventually we'll work up to some Great Lakes beer on tap. Mmmm.... that would be so amazing.

Anyway, opening in about a month. Only a few more finishing touches......

No comments:

Post a Comment